What is the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program?
It is a free program which encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she starts Kindergarten.
Who can enter the program?
Children from birth through the end of Preschool.
How long will the program take?
The program is self-paced and lets you decide how often and how long you will read to your child. It can take anywhere from 3 months to 3+ years.
How many children can participate?
All of them (provided they have not yet started Kindergarten). Make it even more fun and read as a family!
What are the goals of the program?
• To encourage families to read aloud to their young children.
• To introduce children to a variety of books.
• To promote early literacy so children can enter school ready to learn.
• To reinforce parents' role as their child's first teachers.
• To encourage families to regularly use the library for lifelong learning.
How to Participate?
- Register at the library in the Youth Services Department to receive the starter 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Bag. This includes suggested reading lists and the first reading log.
- Pick out books to read with your child!
- Read aloud to your child and use the reading log to keep track of what you read. Books read at the library, storytime, daycare centers and preschools may be counted.
- Once you finish reading the first 100 books, come in with your reading log. You will receive your next reading log and a small incentive to keep on reading.
- When you have read 1,000 books, you and your child will receive a special gift and a certificate of completion!